My Blog List

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The "burden" on responsible men

I was talking with my oldest child, a son, and he told me of having panic attacks sometimes when thinking about caring for his family, wife, and 2 year old twins.  He owns a home ( well the bank still owns it) and they have 2 reliable cars.  His house is small and well within their budget, they were wise and did not listen to lenders who said they could borrow more.  My son is very frugal as we are.
We are all blue collar, my Handsome, and my 2 sons.  I wish that my children had chosen collage, but it was not to be, and they are such incredibly hard workers, that I never worry about them providing for themselves. My son and daughter in law are trying very hard to keep her home with the twins, and this has meant cutting back considerably, but to them it is worth it and I applaud their effort, many people say they cannot survive without two incomes. But I say nonsense, you can, you choose not to make the hard choices.  Now I do not want to cast a wide net, some really do need two incomes, there are circumstances I understand.  But my son bought a small inexpensive house so they could do this.  They do not have tons of stuff.  They hope to sell this house when the kids hit school and buy a slightly larger home, and that will be when DIL can have a part time job.  They sacrifice a lot to do this, but it is so very worth it.
But, I digress, when I spoke with my son about his anxiety attack, I told him that it is completely understandable.  HE is the one responsible for providing everything for his family, that is a huge responsibility, and yes sometimes a burden. It weighs him down sometimes, not because he is not able to do it, but he worries about the what if's.  I told him to talk with his father, as I could help counsel him, but I cannot put myself in his shoes.  Handsome took care of us, his family.  I went to work after #2 was in school, we lived ( and still do) in a very small house. Three bedrooms, one bathroom, and right now 4 adults, but at one time I had 2 boys in school, handsome, me and MIL using one bathroom.  Did it stink,( not actually lol) yes. But we lived well within our means which meant that one time when Handsome was out of work ( for 3 weeks , but we did not know how fast he would find a job) we knew we could both work 2 minimum wage jobs or deliver pizza or whatever to make it work, we could cancel so many "things" but we would not loose the roof over our heads.

So #1 son spoke to Handsome, and we both found out that Handsome did not sleep thru the night he said for 2 years worrying about having the money to care for his family. It is a huge responsibility for a man. I think we as women seldom can really understand the weight they can feel at times.  Now when we first bought our home, Handsome was not a Christian, so that I think handicaps a person, he did not have the knowledge that the Lord promises to take care of us, that we need to cast our worries upon him.  We both now are Christians, and he has seen God bless us over and over when we thought we might not make it. My son was raised a Christian, but I am afraid he has strayed from his faith.  I know he is saved, but right now he is not in a relationship with Christ, and that handicaps him.  He is taking all the worry on his back and not letting God help him carry the burden of worry. But I know he will be ok, he is an amazingly hard worker, with a good blue collar job.  He is a loving and caring husband, and such a beautiful father, he needs to look and see how much God is taking care of him!

I see so many single mothers that have no help with fathers of children, men who do not take the responsibility of raising those children, the opportunity to be blessed and to bless those children.  They run from the "burden" instead of manning up and doing what God equipped them for.  It breaks my heart especially because children learn what they live, and I fear for a generation of boys who are not being taught that when they have a family, they have a God given gift of providing for those people who depend on him, and they run from it. They are teaching that to the boys they bring into this world. We need good strong men, whether they are blue collar or not, to be teaching our boys that the responsibility is great on them, but it is a GIFT from God, and HE WILL care for them, He will let them cast their worries on Him, and He will equip them if they only turn to Him.

I pray for my husband and sons daily that their burden is lightened and they are free from anxiety.  I think all wives and mothers of boys need to let them express this fear, realize that more men I think feel this than actually say it out loud.  I am so thankful that my Handsome worked hard, sometime long long hours to provide for his family, and to do it so well that I never felt that anxiety.  He kept it to himself, which I wish he had shared, but at least now, I can recognize it and advise my sons.  Their father can advise them and hopefully they will go to God to get His advice.
If your husband makes it possible for you to be home, or to put a roof over your head, and feed you, and take that responsibility on himself we need to acknowledge it and pray for them.
I leave you with this

1 Timothy 3:1-7 ESV

The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? ...














Husbands, God is telling you that the task He gave you is NOBLE~live like you believe that!




Peace and Blessings





LTW

9 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post. Nowadays, it seems that this country is doing everything possible to make men into wussy milquetoasts. It is up to parents like you to teach our sons to be upstanding responsible God fearing adults. We live in a Godless society, it seems. How is that working out? I fear for the kids nowadays as they are surrounded by evil and materialistic society. Your son was raised with Christ and although he may have fallen away right now, rest assured that he will come back to Him. All you can do is offer support. You are a good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a two way street though and requires the wife to shoulder responsibilities of her own as well. Yes the Man should be responsible for providing but he cannot really do that if he is the only one upholding his side of things more often than not. Some make enough to do it I imagine but then other problems arise.

    Both the government and the feminist are doing everything in their power to keep the Man from being the provider these days so fulfilling the old traditional duties is just that much harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PP I 100% with that statement. I believe the man is the head of the household, but wives are to support them, be their helpmate in life. I do not believe they are just to be supported and not shoulder responsibility, I hope I did not convey that. I work now and did work when my kids were young, but in school to help with our finances. But the husband is the breadwinner in most homes, and that responsibility can weigh heavily on a man. I hope that I was not misunderstood. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no not misunderstood by me anyway. I see a lot of questioning and saying men should step up and they are the breadwinner from modern Women who will then turn around and declare that all housework is shared duties or whatever feminist idea is out there. Women can't have it both ways they can't expect a Man to provide and still go vote Democrat. If household duties are the only ones in the house than by all means they should be shared to a degree but far too often the outside duties are not included in the sharing arrangement.

      My wife once told me inside duties were everyone's responsibility and I handed her my chainsaw and told her we were sharing that duty tomorrow. She didn't like that response very much.

      Delete
  4. Well first God doesn't exist and your poor son will get psychological problems , panic attacks are the first step. Who told you that men must provide for the family. It seems to me completely stupid. What about when the man is sick, has an accident or simply dies while still young ? Your way of life looks to me like emerging from another century. The man outside and the woman at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry that you feel that God is not there for you, He is. My son is doing great, and I do not fear for his mental health. I do work, and did work when my children were young, but worked at a job that made sure a parent was always home. That meant we sacrificed.
      I am sorry you feel the way you do.
      Thank you for reading.
      Peace and blessings

      Delete
  5. This is one of the most beautifully written, well thought out posts on this subject I have ever read. Thank you for sharing your story and your writing talent.
    I have three sons and have struggled to impart this same message. Life is hard and the burden is very heavy when we cling to it instead of giving it to the Lord. It is such a misfortune that so many men bought into the sexual revolution in the 1960's, thinking they were free to do as they please without repercussion. Well the repercussions are walking around, procreating another generation of fatherless children or children raised by daycare.
    Only one of my son's are married so far and he works like an ant to keep his children at home with his wife. He loves walking in to be greeted by his princesses (he has 3 daughters, lol). If his wife worked, he would not see them very often as he is a railroader with a wacky schedule. He also has lost his way on his walk with the Lord and is very worried. I will share your well written piece with him.
    Prayers of blessings to you and your family.
    sidetracksusie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie, I will pray your son hears your words.
      Our best parenting comes from our time on our knees.
      Happy mothers day!
      Peace and blessings

      Delete
  6. Agree on the women holding up their side. I guess I don't think about that, since I am as busy as the ant doing my work, also. At our house we all just work until it's all done. It dawned on the menfolk that they had days off and I didn't, lol. I do have to cut out of some of the hard manual work if everyone wants to eat, so I get "excused early" to go cook and then clean up while the work outside is resumed, but I quickly join back in.
    If you don't live otherwise you just don't think about others not holding up their part.
    sidetracksusie

    ReplyDelete