My Blog List

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Little bit of this and that

Short post today, have so much going on!  I planted all my tomato and pepper seeds and I have about 95% germination rate so far!  I love Bakers Creek for all my heirloom seeds, they have an amazing array of seeds from all over the world.  Their seed catalog is FREE and it is a work of art!  I love getting it and just reading about all the different seeds.  They have people who travel all over the world getting and saving seeds. With all the GMO stuff going on, I have decided to use only heirloom seeds, I hope that I have as much success with them as I have had in past years. I am excited about some of the different varieties I am trying like Cherokee Purple Tomatoes and a Genovese tomato that looks beautiful!  I always do my Amish Paste tomatoes, they are amazing producers.  I am also trying Cherokee trail of tears black beans, I am excited to plant those this year as we all love black beans.  I have more seeds than room I think lol.
I hope that some day soon I can get out in the yard and clean up and maybe plant some peas and onions, but it is so very muddy.  We have a season between Winter and Spring here, it is mud season, and with three dogs, I HATE mud season lol. This has been a long cold early spring, I am itching to get my hands dirty, bu we may have some snow tomorrow night, sigh.

I am trying to make some summer time plans but it is proving hard to pin Handsome down, and it is starting to aggravate me. Handsome can be very passive aggressive and not give an opinion until you force it out of him, and I really don't like to do that, it is aggravating .  I so want to get something planned so I can start getting excited about it lol.  I am going to pin him down this weekend though one way or another.

There is some killer virus going around here that is just taking out people around me right and left.  It started with a sore throat and head ache, that went to a terrible cough and congestion. Handsome has been fighting it for three weeks now, #2 son has it and has been sick for 2 weeks, four people I work with have it, my mother in law is getting it, and so far I feel fine.  I hate saying that because I feel I am tempting fate, but maybe I am actually immune to this one!
Spring needs to just get here, I want to open windows and air out my house.  I have been going around it like a crazed woman with lysol spraying EVERYTHING~.

Are you all planning your garden yet?  Any seeds started??
Have a wonderful weekend!
Peace and Blessings!
LTW

3 comments:

  1. LTW - glad to hear that you got those seeds started! we are about 2 weeks behind this year due to heavy frosts at night and i can't start my brassicas until i can be sure that the greenhouse will be able to maintain a frost-free temp at night (the greenhouse isn't heated). and i can't start tomatoes and peppers until i've done the brassicas an lettuce - arghghghgh! plus there is still all of that snow on the ground still. our spring is starting waaaaay later this year than normal and everyone around here is going crazy. it's been a long cold winter and spring still eludes us! but hopefully soon the snow will be gone and hopefully spring will just rush at us and we can get our stuff going!

    as for that killer virus - a natural antiobiotic is fresh garlic, fresh ginger, local unpasteurized honey and fresh lemon. put it all in a cup and pour boiling water over it and cover the cup. let it steep a good ten mins. and then drink it all in one gulp or sip it. since you don't have the virus i would recommend you consume this once a day for preventative measures. but for your husband and son i would recommend 3 cups each a day. it really doesn't taste as bad as it sounds and it is very good for viruses and the like.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grow Japanese Black Truffles. Trust me you will never love a tomato so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kymber, we have been drinking herbal teas with local honey and lemon, I will add the garlic and ginger, we eat so much garlic they won't notice lol. Son gets migraines a n d we use ginger to treat his nausea. I need to make some fermented foods, his immune system is weak I think.
    PP I will look those tomatoes up and see if I can find seed, or if you have a few, I would trade you!
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete