My Blog List

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

My mother in law, pain, and dealing with the government.

I am so upset.
My mother in law lives with us, and has for 13 years.  I will be the first to say this has not been easy, not so much because of her, but the crap I have to deal with from his family.
No, it has been hard to loose our privacy, I have to be honest.  I sometimes think it lead to Handsome running away and having his affair.  I have to be honest, sometimes I have felt like running away from all of the responsibility.
Not today though.  My MIL is 87, has chronic diseases, too many to list.  The fact of the matter, they told me when she came to us that she would not last a year.  13 years ago. Somehow we have managed all her problems to at least keep her happy and out of a nursing home. As she has aged and gotten worse we enrolled her in a State program ( she is destitute, which is why she came to us), that is designed to keep people out of the nursing home, and help the family that is caring for the elder person.  I was having a terrible time keeping up with her appointments and my full time work.  Something was going to have to give, and I was afraid she was going to end up in a nursing home after all.  That is when we enrolled her, the caveat being, she had to be treated by their Dr,s in their center's.  She goes to the center twice a week for social interaction and therapy, and if she needs to see the dr or nurse, she can on those days.  It has been a big help.  Until now. And I don't know what to do.
She is in pain, terrible awful pain.  Pain that they are having a hard time "pinning down" because she is hard to talk to.  It is much too long of a story, but because of her LIFE until she came to us, she HAD to be compliant, so she answers any question with what she thinks you want to hear.  It is hard, very hard if you do not know her.
Yesterday I could not take it, I called them and insisted they see her that day, I would leave work and take her.  She is loosing weight rapidly, and looking awful.  She cannot sit from the pain, she cannot stand.  Now I understand that her health is frail. I understand that you cannot give her huge pain medicine BUT they are not giving her any pain relief.  They have diagnosed sciatica on both sides, which I don't believe is the cause, it is very rare to have on both sides.  I would like a colonoscopy, she has blood in her stool.  She is on 200 mg a day of gabapentin for pain, and that dose my friends is lower than the dose I am giving my 50 pound elderly DOG, plus the dog gets an anti inflammatory AND tramadol.  I asked the Dr Please cant you give her something for the pain, I hate seeing her at home in so much pain.  I said to the Dr ( an Indian Dr) that we are treating my dog better that we are treating MIL .  The Dr said to me well she is not a dog.  I told the Dr, I realize that but I am saying we are treating a DOG BETTER!  She said I do not want to give her medicine and one night she does not wake up. At this point I was MAD.  I said listen she IS going to die one night, she is dying right now.  She is old, has many chronic diseases and is going to DIE.
Why cannot they give her a Tylenol with codeine?  ANYTHING, Because friends, you have to increase the medicine this way, that is the way we have to do it.
Ah ha!
We are not treating a patient, we are going by the book that the government has laid out for treatment.
Take step x, then y.  Do not look at the patient as an individual, this is the way the book says do it. So I took the medicine, knowing that they are not giving her even the amount my DOG is getting and said, so when will this work, by when should she feel better. They said today, in one day.

Well I woke up and was getting ready for work, MIL came out hunched over and shaking from pain.  I asked how her night was, she slept a little better, but she cannot stand or sit, and was hunched over and miserable.
I told her to call the center, that they misinterpret me and think I am trying to put my MIL down?!
 I told her you call them, tell them you are still in pain, I will call from work and see how you are doing.
Folks, if she has cancer and was in hospice they would make her comfortable.  What is any different about the end of our life then.  She goes nowhere, she lives in our house, and loves on the dogs, and loves watching old movies. We know she is in the process of leaving this earth, just like we ALL are.  But she is closer than others. Why then can we not make her comfortable? Why can we not say, ok, so her life is small, and right now , she is being watched over by family, lets at least make her comfortable!
Ug, I am just rambling on now, but it is frustrating and hard to see someone in that kind of pain not being heard.
I pray so much that 2016 brings some changes to Obama Care, it has so screwed up our health care system.  We are no longer people, but a product, a thing to be treated according to their check list, and because she is in this program, she agrees to having to have their Drs treat her.  Maybe I made a mistake?
Say  a short prayer for her pain to ease if you are a praying sort?
Peace and Blessings
LTW

2 comments:

  1. oh my. oh my goodness. i can hear the frustration in your voice and the frustration that must be coursing through your body. in advance of any advice, i would like to take this opportunity to thank you and Husband for taking in your MIL and taking care of her these many years. i know it has not been easy but as my Uncle Gerald (The Last Robin) would say to you if he were here now - "you, LTW, will get many rewards in heaven". i know that is not the reason you do it, but just know, there are many rewards.

    can Husband talk to one of the ok'd doctors? american health practices are a mystery to me....because i am in canada, i would just take her to another doctor. i don't completely understand whether or not you can do that.

    the only thing i can do is offer support, you have my email, and offer prayers. this is such a tragic situation for your MIL, and for you. i am sorry that you are going through this. so sorry.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I am no help in situations like this although in a way I am dealing with them myself since I am basically taking care of my mother. Mine's pretty spry for a woman her age which in some ways makes it worse cause I end having to follow her around and doing her heavy lifting and building for her. Still what I will do when she get's housebound is a question that weighs heavily on me to be sure.

    ReplyDelete