My Blog List

Monday, September 8, 2014

This is a big problem

I am seeing a trend in women my age.  In some ways, it validates my feelings, in other ways, it frightens me.
When our nest empties ( or almost empties) we realize that for the first time in a long time our marriage is now only about us.  Our home is about us.  What we do for entertainment is about us. Whatever we do now, is about us.  For more years than I can count, we focused on our children.  We were a united front with our children in common.  But now, what do we do.
I have a dear friend, who is dealing with this.  My heart aches for her, she was crying that her and her husband could be room mates.  I believe I have said that before.
Now things between Handsome and I are going really well.  with some counseling we saw where some changes needed to be made, and how our focus needs to change.  Slowly but surely we are turning it around.  Except for certain areas, which are probably health related, we still have issues there.  I have just had to accept it is not because of me, but a health related issue that if it bothers him enough he will fix.  I have had to accept that , and realize that yes I am still attractive, and still have much to offer, if you understand my meaning.
But Handsome and I both realized that we needed to also find outside interests, things we could do together, and things we could do alone, or with friends. That has been a blessing.  We both look forward to doing our own hobbies ( for me pottery, for him slot car racing and bowling.), and we both love planning our events together as well.  For so long we just sat around watching tv and growing old. I am not old, and my marriage was going to improve, I was not going to spend my life in a stagnant marriage.  So we intentionally worked on it.
I am praying for my dear friend, I asked her to pottery with me.  I also told her the best thing we did was get counseling that helped us communicate better..we forgot how somewhere along the bottle, diaper, school, soccer, boy scouts time of our life how to talk with each other, rather than at each other.  We had to intentionally feed our marriage.  It is taking time, but I am seeing improvements.  I am trying to be patient, and God is honoring that in my life, things are good.
I think this is epidemic among empty nesters, I think we need to speak out, say it is nothing to be embarrassed about, but it needs to be talked about, it needs to be front and center.  We sometimes need to fight for what we want in our lives, but if it is something you know will benifit you as well as your spouse, then go for it.
I am praying for all you women and men in this situation.
Peace and blessings
LTW

2 comments:

  1. A thoughtful post. We are in the midst of this with two teenagers and an almost middleschooler and I see how easy it is to get caught up in all of their activities to the point that it consumes your life. Kudos to you for addressing it up front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am seeing this in so many of my peers. When the nest empties, they have no idea how to relate to each other. For so long the kids were the only common purpose that they forget the marriage. Very few people think about the after kids portion of their lives. they think long and hard before kids how it will change their lives, but not about what will happen when they leave.
    make plans now for when you kids will be gone, discuss it now. find the things you love to do and make the plan now for doing them together. Then when the time comes, you will not be side swiped with it.
    Blessings, LTW

    ReplyDelete