My Blog List

Monday, May 19, 2014

On Self Esteem

Self Esteem is a funny thing. I think that most women, and probably men do not have a good self esteem.  The problem stems from the fact that we get our self esteem from the affirmations of others. Oh so and so liked my outfit, or Mr X told me I did a great job at work, it is easy then to get a boost of self esteem.  It also matters who gives us this "boost" of self esteem.  Lets say it was a stranger that said, hey love your hair! You would smile, say thank you ( I hope!) and be on your way, you may feel like it made your day.  But that person doesn't know you from Adam, their opinion, although nice, does not mean much to you as you will probably never see them again.
If that same compliment comes from your spouse, at least for me, I feel GREAT the rest of the day. My love "likes" this , or "noticed" that.  Because Handsome is a man of few words, when that happens, I could float on air for days and days, my self esteem is raised up.
The conundrum with self esteem is we tend to look to others to help us with our self esteem.  That is contrary to the word.  The esteem should come from yourself, not from others. I know that you laugh, most of us, if left to our own devises, will not say how great we look, or how skinny, or how good our butt looks in those pants.  On the contrary, we go to the opposite side of the track!

And guess what, I am so tired of it.  I am tired of depending on others to make me feel good about me. I am tired of waiting for a husband to say something, when he is not programmed that way.  All it does is disappoint me, and let my self esteem fall further.
Well world, I am done.
Guess what, I have great hair, I used to do hair, and I have a knockout color that I love.
I have a small waist.  I like that. I need to celebrate that.
I have mercy. I need to appreciate it in myself.
I am a killer cook.  (not so much a cleaner upper!)
I am a loyal friend.
I have pretty eyes.
Ok, so you get the idea.  We all need to do an "esteem" check on ourselves once in awhile.  We need to stop trying to fulfill ourselves with what others say, but need to say them to our self. Daily, hourly if needed.
Make it a practice to compliment yourself every single day.  Lets work on bringing the "self" back to self esteem
Peace and Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment