My Blog List

Monday, March 17, 2014

I am trying something new with Handsome

Hello world!  Well I did it this weekend.  I spoke to an issue that has been causing me such pain.  I finally decided that there had to be a way to accomplish what I need as far as my love language's are concerned.  I am a words of affirmation person, as well as physical touch.  These are my primary love languages.  Handsome has the same two as well.  Ever since I read about the five love languages, and took the test (which  I want to encourage every single person that may be reading to take the test online.  It will help you understand yourself and your spouse so much better. It will also give you the the tools to make your marriage even closer.)

So anyway, for my love bank to be filled, I need words of affirmation- "you look nice", " I like your hair" "boy that shirt is pretty"  "you did a great job on ( fill in blank)" For me to feel loved I need this daily, I crave those "atta boys" more than someone who has a different language.  And if I do not get them, I tend to take them.  In other words, if I haven't gotten my fill of WOA ( words of affirmation), I will go to Handsome and say "so do you like my outfit?"  or "I worked really hard on the yard, do you like it?"  or "man it took me most of the afternoon to make that bread or whatever", so that then Handsome has no way out of giving me those words I crave.  He has to respond, or look like a schmuck.

The same goes for my other love language, physical touch.  That one may be even more needed for me to feel loved. I was so blown away when he took the test, and he was also a physical touch person.  The reason for my disbelief is he very seldom shows affection.  So what do I do? How do I respond?  Again, I take my affection from him.  I go to him, kiss him, hug him, rub his back, physically show my love.  Then he has to hug back or kiss back.

But people, that is NOT the way our love banks get filled.  Oh we may steal some of the "goods" ( love touch ect)  But that feels like stealing after awhile, it feels like it was not given, but taken, and that is un- fulfilling to say the least.
So this is what I did yesterday. I think I read somewhere that it takes six weeks to make something become a habit.  So I asked Handsome if once a day, every day, we exchange words of affirmation with each other, and if you cannot think of something, an unsolicited " I love you" will suffice ( unless that is all that you say ever).  And I will do the same thing for you everyday for six weeks.  BUT I told him, if I have to remind him, it is the same as taking my love, not being given.

So, this is my first exercise in reclaiming the full measure of love that exists between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment