My Blog List

Thursday, April 10, 2014

So last weekend

I am going to have to make this quick and condensed.  To make a long story shorter, my mother in law moved in with us twelve years ago.  At the time the Dr. said, she may have a year to live.  After ten years, he said, boy are you doing a good job!  I used to laugh and say my kids would be out of school and she would still be there.  Well guess what? Yup, she is still there.  And as I said before, it makes for a struggle for an intimate life.  She also does not respect the fact that in the evening after work, Handsome and I need time alone, to communicate, and decompress.  I sometimes wonder if this was one of the issues that helped in the almost demise of my marriage.
So back to this weekend.  My dear Handsome has a screwy family to say the least, I know that all people have someone in their family that is screwy, but this family has bunches.  Dear Handsome has a brother, who has several health issues, has had several strokes, permanent heart damage, diabetes, so many things wrong, and he is young.  Well his wife basically abandoned him at the hospital after his last stroke, she had starved him, quit buying his medicine.  We believe she was trying to hasten his death. So Handsome and I asked if he wanted to go to a nursing home closer to where we live, so we can help care for him, and make sure he is getting proper care.  The result we were hoping for is to get him set up in a small income controlled apartment with some assistance from the state.
To say handsome family is not close is an understatement.  Nobody visited bro in law. His sister feels he should be happy he is being taken care of.  But he is in with dementia patients thirty years older than he.  It breaks my heart, and because I would not let my family sit in there and rot, I decided that I would commit to picking him up every week for church, and to come home for Sunday dinner.  I also arranged for two men to go and do a bible study weekly with him, they take him for coffee ect.  Just so he doesnt feel alone.
The last time I picked him up, he fell getting into our house.  He said he was fine, he had one tiny scratch so we assumed he was ok.  Well he got back to the nursing home, and a few days later they said he was having difficulty and swelling in his arm (this is the one that is paralyzed.) They decided to send him for an xray.  The xray came back negative, so they proceeded to watch him.  Well his arm got worse, and they sent him to the hospital.  He is on cumiden (sp) and he had a blood clot in his arm.  He had to have surgery and have it opened. I felt horrid about it.  He was ok, and he understood.
Enter SISTER IN LAW.......................ug.  Now she has not been to see bro in law since he came to the nursing home, even though she lives less than five miles away.  She hasn't called, nothing.  But she had the nerve to bitch and complain that we mis handled Bro in law.  Started trying to tell us what to do.  Got her mother (my mother in law) in a really big fit.  It was a mess.  As bad as I felt to begin with, she made it ten times worse.  I told my mother in law, that if it weren't for me, she would be in a nursing home, not OUR home.  I informed her that the ONLY person worried about bro in law was me.  If it weren't for me he would sit in there and rot.  I was furious.  I felt like handsome should have done something, said something, but of course, that would be confrontation and he does not do that.......
Thank God Bro is ok, sis in law has stayed away from me, but I dread Easter coming up.
I know we all have family, do you have crazy ungrateful ones too??
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment